WordPress is one of the easiest and most powerful open-source content management system, powering more than 30% of the websites in the Internet. Originally created as blog platform, WordPress has evolved to a full featured CMS, whose functionality can be extended with a great number of free and premium themes and plugins for different purposes: you can use it to build any type of website very easily: with its help you can create your own blog, online store and even a portfolio/gallery website.
WordPress is a free application, which makes it accessible to everybody and very cost effective for any organization, business or individual. It is suitable to build any project, ranging from blogs and news websites, to sophisticated platforms, all the way to eCommerce projects or a community.
WordPress is known for being incredibly easy to work with. Whether you are newcomer or you already have experience, with WordPress you can build a professional website in no time. Most importantly, you do not need any development skills as no coding is required!
Choosing WordPress to build your website will get you a secure and easy platform that you can easily extend thanks to the many free WordPress plugins available. Want to build an online store? No problem, WooCommerce is the best WordPress eCommerce plugin and is at your disposal, so you can start selling today. Want to improve the SEO of your website? Yoast, being the most popular WordPress SEO plugin is all you need, just download it and install it.
WordPress is a platform with many functionalities and as such it also offers multi-user feature. It is called WordPress MU and can be enabled via the dashboard. The plugins and themes are controlled by the administrator only and the individual WPMU users cannot upload features by themselves, which differentiates it from the single-user version of the application. A normal user can only operate with the ones made available by the system administrator.
Individual themes can be made available to all blogs or just to specific ones.
All these features of WordPress MU make it a perfect fit to easily manage large networks of blogs, online news websites, magazines, universities and even large companies, running corporate blogging systems behind firewalls.
Some of the most popular free WordPress themes to help you choose the most suitable theme for your website:
- Zerif WordPress Theme (learn more) Zerif is free, multipurpose one page WordPress theme with premium features, suitable for creating agencies. It is fully optimized for speed and also has a live customizer to help you design your website easily.
- Twenty Seventeen WordPress Theme (learn more) With more than 1 million active installs, the default WordPress theme provides all features you need to turn your basic WordPress installation into powerful website.
- Spacious WordPress Theme (learn more) Spacious is multipurpose responsive WordPress theme, which you can use for your business, portfolio or blogging website. With different page layouts and multiple widget areas, this theme is very flexible and you can place your important content exactly where you want.
- GeneratePress WordPress Theme (learn more) GeneratePress is fast and mobile responsive WordPress theme, built with SEO and speed in mind. The theme is highly customizable and has tons of useful options which you will find handly.
- MetroStore WordPress Theme (learn more) MetroStore is creative multipurpose WordPress/WooCommerce theme, with which you can easily build your new website and even extend its functionality with an ecommerce plugin.
Some of the most popular free WordPress plugins to help you extend the functionality of your WordPress powered website:
- WooCommerce (learn more) WooCommerce is the leading WordPress eCommerce plugin. If you want to build an online store and keep the WordPress simplicity and power, WooCommerce is the only solution which you should use.
- Yoast SEO (learn more) Yeast is the most popular SEO plugin for WordPress. With tons of features like automatic sitemap creation and integration with Webmaster tools and Bing, this is a must have plugin.
- Jetpack (learn more) Jetpack is powerful plugin created by the team behind the WordPress team itself. It takes care of your website security, image optimization via CDN and a lot more. Jetpack for WordPress is highly recommended plugin for your website.
- Akismet (learn more) Akismet is one of the default plugins which comes pre-installed with WordPress and is really powerful solution if you want to win the fight against the comments spam in WordPress. You need a registration to use it and the only thing you need is to activate it, Akismet will handle the rest.
- W3 Total Cache (learn more) Increase the performance of your website. The plugin has tons of features and can optimize almost any part of your website.
I am unable to upload any images to my WordPress application. Why is that and how can I fix it? keyboard_arrow_down
This kind of issues are usually caused by the permissions of the files and folders and they are easy to fix.
The reason why they occur is most probably the installation of a new plugin, which has changed the permissions of your /uploads folder and that is why the application would not allow any upload within. Here are couple of steps to perform in order to rectify the issue:
Go to your cPanel > File manager and navigate to the root folder of the application.Once you are there simply change the permissions of the /uploads folder under the /content one to 755.
As soon as you set the permissions as stated above you should be able to upload images to your WordPress again.
Is it possible to install themes and plugins without the usual FTP methods and procedures? keyboard_arrow_down
Installing themes and plugins on WordPress may actually prove to be quite easy. There are just two simple steps, which you have to follow and the theme/plugin will be successfully installed.
The first one is to download the theme/plugin you want installed. Be aware that in most cases this file is compressed in a zip archive.
The second step is to simply go to your administration area, access the Plugins or Themes section respectively and just upload the zip file there. Once you have done that the application will automatically install it. We also recommend you to check if the plugin/theme is functioning properly after the installation is complete in order to make sure everything is done successfully.
I have installed couple of plugins today, but when I try to access my website I am encountering white screen. What can I do? keyboard_arrow_down
In order to rectify this issue you first have to access the administration area of your website.
Once you are there go to Plugins and then start to disable them one by one, while at the same time in another tab you simultaneously have to check if the website is working after each disabled plugin. When you determine which is the one causing the issue you should remove it, as it is incompatible with the application or it is a faulty one.
As regards to the template - navigate to Themes and simply reset it by activating a default theme of your choice and check if it is working properly.
In order to prevent this error from further recurrence it is very important to check every plugin/theme before the activation, as some may be incompatible or of unknown origin.
I was editing my WordPress website when suddenly all my posts, images and links became unreachable displaying "404 not found" error message. How to resolve it? keyboard_arrow_down
When this message appear the first thing you have to know is not to worry about the content of your website. All your posts are still there - they just have become misconfigured. There is a quick and easy way to fix it through the Permalinks of your application right away.
In such cases the “404 not found” fault is occurring only for the posts of your website, but the administration area could be reached.
To resolve the issue first access your administration area, then go to Settings > Permalinks and reset them. The way to do it is to first remember what is the current option for the permalinks and then set the Default option as active. As soon as you have done this set the option back to its original state and save the changes.
If you want to optimize the performance of your website there are multiple plugins that WordPress can offer, which can help you with the task. The best way to achieve this by far are the so called “cache plugins”.
What the cache plugins do is to create a static version of your website’s content and deliver it to your visitors. In this way the overall performance of the website will improve significantly and the page loading time will be greatly reduced.
I have installed premium WordPress theme, but it does not look like the demo. What do i miss? keyboard_arrow_down
The premium themes are a product, for which you pay extra, in order for your website to look extraordinary and it is important to achieve the look you paid for.
If what you see is not what you expected from the demo, then most probably the installation of the premium theme was not done correctly or completely. The installation tutorial, located in the archive file of the theme, has to be followed step-by-step. Make sure you have done that and if in doubt - you can reinstall the theme.
In case that even after the reinstall of the theme your website does not look as it should - this is a clear indication that you have missed the demo content. You can usually find in the zip file of the theme and it’s an XML file, which simply needs to be imported in the application.
To perform the import process go to your Administration Area > Tools > Import. Once you are there - just import the XML file. Be aware that if WordPress importer is not already installed - you have to install it first.
At my WordPress admin area, I saw that I am running an older version of the application. Could this be crucial for my website? keyboard_arrow_down
In almost every case, having an outdated version of WordPress may be crucial for the security of the website. We are going to sum up the importance of regular updates below.
WordPress is one of the most popular applications for building websites worldwide. This also makes it one of the prime targets for hackers and creators of malicious content. There are lots of free themes/plugins, which are of unknown source and can inject the application with any kind of malicious code, which can escalate in variety of problems for your website.
That is why WordPress is also one of the most regularly updated applications and it has a new release almost every month and we recommend to all of our customers to upgrade to the newest WordPress version right away as the best practice to counter malicious content.
I forgot the password for the administration area of my WordPress website. Is there a way to reset it? keyboard_arrow_down
The first thing you need to know in case you have forgotten your administration password is not to worry about it as there are some easy ways to reset it.
The first and most straightforward one is to click on the “Lost your password?” link below the username/password fields and follow the instructions for resetting it.
In case that for some reason this does not resolve the issue you can reset your password from the database associated with the script.